I'm a Leo - hear me roar!
Following in the footsteps of others..I give you the highlights of August 18th according to wikipedia!
- 1587 - Virginia Dare, granddaughter of Gov. John White of the Colony of Roanoke, becomes the first English child born in the Americas.
- 1590 - John White, the governor of the Colony of Roanoke, returns from a supply-trip to England and finds his settlement deserted.
- 1868 - French astronomer Pierre Jules César Janssen discovers helium.
- 1877 - Asaph Hall discovers Martian moon Phobos.
- 1903 - German engineer Karl Jatho allegedly flies his self-made, motored gliding airplane four months before the first flight of the Wright Brothers.
- 1909 - Tokyo mayor Yukio Ozaki presents Washington, D.C. with 2,000 cherry trees, which President Taft decides to plant near the Potomac River.
- 1920 - 19th Amendment to US constitution passes, guaranteeing women's suffrage.
- 1941 - Adolf Hitler orders a temporary halt to Nazi Germany's systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and handicapped due to protests.
- 1950 - Julien Lahaut, the chairman of the Communist Party of Belgium is assassinated by far-right elements.
- 1969 - Jimi Hendrix plays the unofficial last day of Woodstock.
- 1983 - Hurricane Alicia hits the Texas coast, killing 22 people and causing over USD $1 billion in damage (1983 dollars).
- 1991 - Collapse of the Soviet Union: Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev is put under house arrest while on holiday in the town of Foros, Crimea.
- 1992 - Wang Laboratories files for bankruptcy.
- 1992 - NBA basketball player Larry Bird announces his retirement after winning an Olympic gold medal as a member of the U.S. Dream Team.
- 2005 - Dennis Rader is sentenced to 175 years in prison for the BTK serial killings.
- 2005 - Massive power blackout hits the Indonesian island of Java, affecting almost 100 million people. (and you thought the blackout of 2003 was bad...)
Some notables that share my day:
- 1774 - Meriwether Lewis, American explorer (d. 1809)
- 1928 - Marge Schott, baseball team owner (d. 2004)
- 1934 - Roberto Clemente, Puerto Rican Major League Baseball player (d. 1972)
- 1936 - Robert Redford, American actor and director
- 1952 - Patrick Swayze, American actor (now I know why my obsession with Dirty Dancing...haha!)
- 1957 - Denis Leary, American comedian and actor
- 1969 - Everlast, American musician
- 1969 - Edward Norton, American actor
- 1969 - Christian Slater, American actor
- 1980 - Esteban Cambiasso, Argentine footballer; Uptown Girl
- 1992 - Frances Bean Cobain, Daughter of late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain and singer/actress Courtney Love
And of course the horoscope:
Happy Birthday: Strategy and a driving competitiveness will be the answer to getting what you want. Keeping on top of everything that is going on will bring you the respect and success you desire. This is the year to prove your worth through the actions you take. Your numbers are 6, 11, 25, 36, 40, 47
Funny...I never was that competitive before moving to NY. I guess it does change you in one way or another...
Off to the beach to rest up (and of course getting my obligatory bakery items!) so I can drag out my ultra competitive self tomorrow morning=) I think I'll see a few of you out there tomorrow morning, no?
Have I mentioned....FIVE days til I head to the left coast???
My birthday weekend extravaganza goes like this:
- Boat Basin Thursday evening to let the drinks flow since my actual birthday was the day before a race (would not go over well to party the night before the Team Championships!)
- Beach Friday for my birthday in NJ. A nice day spent on the beach listening to the waves crash on shore and well...me to eat a lot of sand after wiping out via boogie board.
- Friday night dinner with friends
- Back to the curly hair place Saturday after the race so I can look pretty for the last 2 weddings I have this year.
- Night out for drinks with some of the best friends one could have in NYC
- A slow 9.5 plod around the park Sunday afternoon
- Mostly Mozart with Sempre Libera Sunday evening
- Emack&Bolio to culminate the weekend